Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cable & Eyelet Hat

I cast on for this pretty hat with cables and eyelets for my grandmother's 80th birthday. I used JL Yarnworks' pattern "Hermione's Cable & Eyelet Hat", available here. From what I've read, the pattern is based on a hat worn by Hermione in the latest Harry Potter movie. I doubt that Jamma knows who Harry Potter is, but the pattern is very pretty nonetheless so hopefully she'll like it!

 

 Overall, I'd say that it was a success. The pattern was very clear and easy to follow, the only thing that I would change would be to make it just a little bit shorter ... it's a little on the long side. You could maybe leave out the last cable repeat, or shorten the ribbing section by 1/4" to 1/2" before starting the cable pattern. I should note that the pattern does give two size options (child and adult), and I followed the adult pattern. Perhaps following the child pattern would solve this length issue.

The yarn I used was Paton's Canadiana in "Medium Green Tea". I love the color, but I'm not thrilled with the overall feel of the fabric. It's a 100% acrylic yarn, which is a plus for grandma since it's easy to care for, but I think the pattern would perhaps be better suited to a wool or wool blend yarn. The finished product is still nice and cozy, so I'm not going to be too particular! 

No comments:

Post a Comment